The Fleishhacker pool and pool house were built in 1924 by philanthropist Herbert Fleishhacker. The pool was the largest swimming pool in the United States. The pool held 6 million gallons of water and could accomodate 10,000 swimmers. The pool was closed in 1971 with the pool itself being paved over by the San Francisco Zoo for a new parking lot. The pool house which was used by bathers at the pool remains on its original site today in ruins.